Strasbourg : the oldest Christmas market in France
Founded in 1570, Strasbourg's Christmas market is the most famous thanks to its sheer scale and its location in Europe's capital. It enjoys a historical place in the history of Alsatian Christmases, thanks to its longevity: the well-known "Christkindelsmärik" in Place Broglie is considered as the oldest Christmas market in France. In Strasbourg, numerous town squares host the emblematic wooden huts of the Christmas markets, and each of these markets has its own unique characteristics:
- The best-known of Strasbourg's Christmas markets can be found near the majestic Cathedral of Notre Dame.
- The market of Alsatian taste and flavours and of Alsace’s legendary small growers and producers is situated in Place des Meuniers.
- The Three Kings’ market and the Carré d’Or market are located respectively in Place Benjamin-Zix and Place du Temple-Neuf.
- The Alsatian Christmas delicacies market flies the flag for excellent local products in Place d'Austerlitz.
- Children's World can be found in Place Saint Thomas, and is definitely well worth a visit as a family.
- The Sharing Village in Place Kléber nestles under the traditional Great Christmas Tree with its breathtaking decorations.